Victorian Curriculum Links
'Is This An Emergency? Ambulance' is a hardback children's picture book that directly links to the Victorian Curriculum at Foundation Level, Level 1 and Level 2 for Health and Physical Education / Personal, Social and Community Health / Being healthy, safe and active.
Titled ‘Is This An Emergency? Ambulance’, this book works to educate primary school aged children as to when and how to call for an ambulance in an emergency. With a background in paramedics and emergency first response, I, Amelia Harrison, have ensured that although child-friendly and light hearted, the chief objectives of the book are to:
- Equip children with the knowledge and understanding of the 000 service to give children the capacity to saves lives.
- Halt the wasting of resources by children prank calling 000 through the differentiation between an emergency and non-emergency scenarios.
- Provide a child friendly platform for the discussion of emergencies and emergency services between children and their parents or teachers.
- Demonstrate to children what adults are appropriate to ask for help.
The Victorian Curriculum content description and elaborations for each Level are listed below - all aspects are in line with the book however the ones outlined in orange directly apply.
Health and Physical Education / Foundation Level / Personal, Social and Community Health / Being healthy, safe and active
Identify people and actions that help keep themselves safe and healthy.
- Identifying characters in different texts who help the main character to stay safe and healthy
- Identifying protective behaviours that can help keep them save
- Identify different relationships they have with people and which of these relationships make them feel loved, safe and supported
- Naming trusted people in their community who can help them stay safe and healthy and practicing ways of asking for help in a range of different scenarios
LEVEL 1 & 2 (YEAR 1 & 2):
Health and Physical Education / Levels 1 and 2 / Personal, Social and Community Health / Being healthy, safe and active
Practise strategies they can use when they need help with a task, problem or situation at home and/or at school.
- Identifying and rehearsing strategies they can use when requiring assistance, such as asking an adult, reading basic signs and solving a problem with friends
- Locating and recording phone numbers of local organisations they can contact in case of emergency and rehearsing a phone call to triple zero
- Identifying situations at home and at school that may require the help of emergency services
- Recognising photos and locations of safe places and people who can help
We at Toby the Teddy are working on producing a range of assessment tasks that also fit within the scope of the curriculum outlined above. Please be in touch via email at firstname.lastname@example.org for further information.
- Website: www.tobytheteddy.com
- Contact: Amelia Harrison via email@example.com or 0400 211 417
- Cost: $19.95 per book (excl. shipping and handling)
- Endorsements: CLICK HERE for letters and quotes of endorsement, however the book has explicitly been endorsed by the following people and organisations;
- Catherine Maimone Crowhurst, Director Rathfarnham ELC - Year 6, Loreto Mandeville Hall Toorak
- Hon Kelly O’Dwyer MP, Federal Member for Higgins, Minister for Small Business, Assistant Treasurer
- Nataly Tormey, Director Wonderwoman Children First Aid
- Milla Stokes, Director & Program Coordinator Little Lifesavers Education
- Numerous primary school teachers and early learning educators
- Emergency Services Telecommunications Authority (ESTA) has integrated the book into its community programs
- ACU St Patrick’s Student Paramedic Society
- Qualified Ambulance Paramedics, both local, national and international
- Select links to media:
- Sunrise: https://au.tv.yahoo.com/sunrise/video/watch/32458420/would-your-kids-know-what-to-do-in-an-emergency/#page
- The Courier: http://www.thecourier.com.au/story/4185466/amelias-life-saving-message
- The Minor: http://theminer.net.au/teaching-kids-how-to-call-000-in-an-emergency/
- Links to social media:
At Toby the Teddy, we are immensely passionate about this project and truly believe this book has the capacity to save lives and very much look forward to sharing it with you and your students by way of its inclusion into your program.
For more information, reviews, endorsements or the like, please be in touch.
+61 400 211 417